Monday, December 16, 2013

Celtic Solstice Clue 3

It is time to link up Clue 3 of Bonnie Hunter"s 2013 Mystery quilt Celtic Solstice. The units this time ate 2 inch half square triangles with some of those being made into 25 pinwheel units. I used the Easy Angle ruler for most of the HST and then tried a different method that I found on Youtube for the others. The second method involved cutting larger squares, marking the diagonals, sewing on either side of the diagonals and then cutting them apart.



Follow this link to the Youtube video.

You get 8 triangles from each square. I must say that this is faster than using the Easy Angle ruler, but I like both ways of doing it. With the second method, I had to sliver trim every HST, with the Easy Angle ruler, I did not, unless I didn't make my seams the appropriate size. I may try to figure out if I can adjust the size of the square in the second method so I don't have to sliver trim. It really was faster to do them this way, even with the trimming.



All of my pinwheels are different combinations of the fabrics. No two look exactly alike.

The see others progress, check out this page on Bonnie's blog.


4 comments:

  1. Love your orange fabrics, Claudia, and thanks for sharing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this method of making 8 1/2 square triangles at once.
    Even though you have to trim

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice that there is more than one way to get to the same result. Your fabrics are lovely and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pinwheels, they look yummy

    ReplyDelete