Thursday, December 4, 2014

Grand Illusion Part 1

Ok, It's been almost a year since I've posted anything because I am not a blogger! I just started this blog to chronicle my progress on Celtic Solstice last year. That was my first Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt and I enjoyed it so much, of course I am game to do this one. Anyway, I don't remember how to do anything like add pictures, links, labels. Starting the learning curve all over. Maybe I should do a post every once in a while so as not to lose all these hard learned skills.

On to Grand Illusion. Going to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is on my personal bucket list and I loved the pictures Bonnie posted when she did her workshop there. I think it is a great inspiration for a quilt, besides the colors are right up my alley!


Since last year was the first time I had done a mystery, my game plan was to begin the unit every Friday and have it complete by Sunday night. I did not want Celtic Solstice to end up as a UFO. Have to say that having the Monday link up really helped motivate me to finish. This year however, my time is not as free. I am not at liberty to sew all day or all night if I need to. My mother lives with us now which is so much better that her living in an assisted living facility. The trade off is that my free time is more limited, which is ok by me because she is happier and so am I. The plan this year is to have each part completed by the next Thursday and posted, before the Friday clue comes out. I won't feel so much pressure that way and it will not become a UFO.

Mom

Part one is almost done and will be finished by midnight tonight! All of the broken dish units are complete. I just have a few more half square triangles to finish chaining. I chose to do 10 broken dish units at a time, not too much chaining at one time and I could see progress. This worked better for me since I was having to break up my sewing time so much. My goal would be to do 10 or 20 units during a set amount of time. I will have to figure out how to break down each part as we go.


To see more posts about Grand Illusion, please use the following link to Quiltville

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a 'blogger' either, but doing Bonnie's mystery this year motivated me to start one. There IS a learning curve, isn't there? My goal also is to finish and post by Thursday night. It's wonderful you are able to take care of your mom; mine passed four years ago. Looking forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Norway. I like the way you present the fabrics, and I love your colours. Looking forward to see your progress. I'm still working on part one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also started my blog due to a Bonnie Mystery - Orca Bay was my first, and l love these mysteries so much I hope she keeps them going forever...
    My mom lived with me for 2 years before going into memory care, although it was not always easy, I will always cherish that time I had with her. She now watches over us from heaven and I'm sure shes singing with the angels!

    ReplyDelete